Phew, it’s hot out there. When there’s hot outside, you have to remain cool. Here are some useful tips for you to stay cool in the heat of the summer excluding installing air conditioning.
Tips to Stay Cool in the Summer Heat.
If it’s really hot outside or in your house, your body will start to compensate by sweating as this will add water to your skin in an attempt to cool you down. But of course, as you sweat your body will lose water inside and you are at risk of dehydrating and therefore, you will need to add water to compensate.
The overall best advice is to get water – either to drink or immerse you in such as a swimming pool, a cold shower or a cold bath. All of these will immediately cool you down but of course are no answer to air conditioning– the following tips for staying cool will help you so here goes:
Stay Cool with Your Body.
- Put water on your arms and face either directly or by using a towel and this will cool you immediately
- Drink cool water as it will cool your body from inside
- Avoid fizzy pop drinks – although this will give you a rush of energy from the sugar, water is best. Taking tea has a similar effect of being refreshing
- If you are outside. wear light colored clothing as this will reflect the sun (if you’ve ever touched a black colored car that’s been in the sun you’ll know how hot it gets where as a white car is still cool to the touch)
- Wear a hat to keep your head cool and avoid sunburn.
- Find a small towel and immerse it in water and place it over your head and face – this will really cool you down.
Stay Cool with Environment.
- Where ever you are staying, avoid being in direct sunlight.
- Sit or walk in the shade as much as possible
- Open windows in the house back and front to get a draft moving through the building
- If the sun shines directly into house windows, draw curtains and blinds which will keep those rooms cooler.
- Turn off all heat sources – if you are cooking downstairs the heat will rise up into the bedrooms in the house. So take care of the matter.
General Tips to Stay Cool.
- Relax and keep still – if you are moving about a lot your body will heat up.
- Relaxing in a chair in the garden or on a towel will help stay cool.
- Go swimming indoors or outside as the water will cool you instantly
- Have a cold shower to stay cool in the summer.
- Get a fan – although a fan simply moves hot air around it does have a cooling effect. You could put some ice blocks in front of the fan source to push cooler air around and ultimately you can stay cool.
If you start to feel unwell and get a headache in the heat, it’s likely you have become dehydrated. Take some water but if the symptoms continue then seek medical advice immediately.
Remember when there’s no air conditioning around for that long, you can follow the tips by dressing in white clothing, having many ceiling fans and keeping out of the sun in the hottest parts of the day to stay cool from the scorching summer heat.